East Jordan & Southern
The East Jordan & Southern was originally a logging railroad, moving lumber to the mill on Lake Charlevoix in East Jordan.
It was incorporated as a common carrier in 1901, and connected to the Pere Marquette in Bellaire.
As the area became logged out, the EJ&S had permission to shut down in 1932.
Instead, they reinvented themselves, became a passenger and freight road.
They became famous for the free train rides each year on Independence Day.
They ran their farewell fan trip on August 12, 1961, and operations ceased at the end of the month.
East Jordan, MI 8/9/01
EJ&S M.L.1 undated, photo source unknown
East Jordan Depot 1911Postcard
#6 The "Swan City Express"
EJ&S Rolling Stock
2-6-0 Pittsburg (1909)
gas mechanical railcar
combine, former Chicago & Grand Trunk (1889)
converted open flat car "Swan Car"
snow plow, ex Ann Arbor
Information Source: Trains, Jan 1962 "Crossing Over Jordan"
East Jordan & Southern 1952 Map
East Jordan & Southern #2 at Mid Continent Railway and Museum
EJ&S #2 1966 photo
History of Chicago & Grand Trunk Railway Combine #1842
EJ&S M.L.1at Bellaire
Back to Main Page